Located in the heart of downtown Vancouver, UBC Robson Square is a vibrant learning centre that brings unique UBC offerings to the growing downtown core and is accessible to learners throughout the Lower Mainland.
The Great Northern Way Campus, located just southeast of the downtown Vancouver core, is a collaboration between UBC, Simon Fraser University, Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design, and the B.C. Institute of Technology.
UBC and Vineyard Networks partner on advanced networks research Internationally respected Kelowna-based company Vineyard Networks is collaborating with UBC to create a new approach to data storage and retrieval. This partnership...
Dr. Naveed Zafar Janjua is an epidemiologist at the BC Centre for Disease Control and Clinical Assistant Professor at School of Population and Public Health, University of British Columbia. Dr. Janjua is a Medical Doctor (MD) with a Masters of Science (MSc) degree in Epidemiology & Biostatistics and Doctorate in Public Health (DrPH). At BCCDC, his work involves surveillance, research and policy advice related to influenza. His research interest includes influenza epidemiology/immuno-epidemiology, vaccine effectiveness. In addition, he is also interested in global health issues. His global health research includes unsafe medical injections and transmission of blood borne pathogens, socio-economic disparities in health and nutritional transition in developing countries.
Areas of Specialty:
Influenza surveillance, prevention and control
Influenza epidemiology/immuno-epidemiology and vaccine effectiveness
Unsafe medical injections and blood borne pathogens
Socio-economic disparities in health
Nutritional transition in developing countries
Global and international health
SPPH 503 DL – Epidemiological Methods II
Recent Selected Publications:
• Janjua NZ, Skowronski DM, De Serres G, et al. Estimates of influenza vaccine effectiveness for 2007-2008 from Canada’s sentinel surveillance system: Cross protection against major and minor variants. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2012; doi: 10.1093/infdis/jis283.
• Janjua NZ, Kadir MM, Lutfi S, Tipre M, Sathiakumar N. Tasman Spirit Oil Spill in Pakistan – Research Response and Lessons Learned. American Journal of Industrial Medicine. 2012 DOI: 10.1002/ajim.22039. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ajim.22039/abstract
• Janjua NZ, Skowronski DM, Hottes TS et al. Transmission dynamics and risk factors for pandemic H1N1-related illness: Outbreak investigation in a rural community of British Columbia, Canada. Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses 2012 DOI: 10.1111/j.1750-2659.2012.00344.x. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1750-2659.2012.00344.x/abstract
• Skowronski DM, De Serres G, Janjua NZ et al. Cross-reactive antibody to swine influenza A(H3N2) subtype virus in children and adults immunized with 2010-11 trivalent inactivated influenza vaccine in Canada , August to November 2010. Eurosurveillance 2012;17(4): pii=20066.
• Skowronski DM, Janjua NZ, Tsafack PES, Ouakki M, Hoang L, De Serres G. The number needed to vaccinate to prevent infant pertussis hospitalization and death through parent cocoon immunization. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2011 doi:10.1093/cid/cir836.
• Janjua NZ, Iqbal R, Mahmood B. Socioeconomic position and distribution of under- and over-nutrition in Pakistan. Annals of Epidemiology 2011;21(12):884-91.
• Skowronski DM, Janjua NZ, De Serres G, Hottes TS, Crowcroft NS, et al. Effectiveness of AS03-adjuvanted pandemic H1N1 vaccine: case-control evaluation based on the sentinel surveillance system in Canada, fall 2009. BMJ 2011;342:c7297
• Janjua NZ, Skowronski DM, Hottes TS, Osei W, Petric M, et al. Seasonal influenza vaccine and increased risk of pandemic H1N1 illness: first detection of the association during outbreak investigation in British Columbia, Canada. Clinical Infectious Disease. 2010 Nov 1;51(9):1017-27. DOI: 10.1086/656586
• Janjua NZ, Khan MI, Mahmood B. Sharp injuries at first level care facilities in Pakistan. Tropical Medicine International Health. 2010. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2010.02610.x
• Skowronski DM, De Serres G, Crowcroft NS, Janjua NZ, Boulianne N, et al. Association between the 2008–09 Seasonal Influenza Vaccine and Pandemic H1N1 Illness during Spring–Summer 2009: Four Observational Studies from Canada. PLoS Med 2010; 7(4): e1000258. doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1000258
• Janjua NZ, Hamza HB, Islam M, Tirmizi SFA, Siddiqui Anwar, Jafri W, Hamid S. Health care risk factors among women and personal behaviors among men explain the high prevalence of hepatitis C virus infection in Karachi, Pakistan. Journal of Viral Hepatitis 2009 May;17(5):317-26. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2893.2009.01230.x